Co-op Cookin' With Hank Danger on January 25th at 5:30 PM
Join us this Friday for Co-op Cookin’ with Hank Danger, our FREE monthly cooking demonstration featuring recipes from the Co-op Deli! This month Hank will be featuring two dishes that would be perfect for your Super Bowl party: black bean pico de gallo and vegan (gluten-free optional) pinwheels! Bring a friend and come on by to sample and take home some fresh Co-op Cookin’!
Hank’s (Vegan) Pinwheels
Serves 20 | Cost Approx. $20
8 ounces (vegan) cream cheese
1/2 cup lightly packed sun-dried tomatoes (dry, not in oil, re-hydrated)
1 cup tightly packed spinach, steamed or lightly sautéed until wilted
2 large cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
1/4 cup (vegan) parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
2 large flour tortillas (or gluten free)
24 fresh basil leaves (roughly chopped, or chiffonade)
1. Start by bringing about two cups of water to a boil. Add your sun-dried tomatoes, cover and remove from heat. Let them sit in the water for about 5-10 minutes until they are somewhat soft.
2. During this time, you can either add your spinach to the pan with the tomatoes to let it steam, or lightly sauté the leaves in a small amount of olive oil and a pinch of salt until they are soft and dark green. Drain everything and set it all aside.
3. Once both elements have cooled entirely, chop both the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces.
4. In a large bowl, mix your cream cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, garlic, Parmesan, basil, and salt and pepper.
5. Thinly spread the cream cheese mix over the entire tortilla, all the way out to the edges.
6. Tightly roll the tortilla completely, then cut off the round bits from each end.
7. Holding the wrap tightly, slice the roll into “pinwheels” about 1/2” to 3/4” wide.
8. Lay the pinwheels on their sides on a nice decorative plate, serve and enjoy!
Black Bean Pico de Gallo
Serves 10-12 | Cost Approx. $20
INGREDIENTS:3 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro, stemmed and roughly chopped
2 cans of black beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
1/2 of a lime, juiced
salt & pepper to taste
1. Mix together the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice in a large bowl.
2. Add roughly 1/2 of a tsp of salt and pepper. Remember to go a little light on the salt at first, then add a little more at a time if needed.
3. Add the black beans and mix thoroughly. Adjust the salt and pepper again if needed. Serve and enjoy!!!